Katrina R. Jackson – State Representative, District 16 & Attorney at Law
State Representative Katrina R. Jackson, is a Monroe, La native and is blessed with a double dose of love and support by her four parents; Mr. and Mrs. Welton and Patricia Holman and Mr. and Mrs. Walter and Linda Jackson. She has been blessed to work in various areas which offer service to the community and Kingdom of God. She is a Partner with the Downs Law Firm and has over 11 years of experience representing clients throughout the state of Louisiana.
Attorney Jackson is the State Representative for Louisiana House District 16. She was elected to the legislature in 2011 to represent the constituents of this district which covers parts of Ouachita and Morehouse Parishes.
Her current legislative committee assignments are:
House Judiciary, Chair
Health and Welfare
House Executive Committee
House Select Leadership Committee
House Appropriations, Ad Hoc Member
Joint Legislative Committee on the Budget, Ad Hoc Member
Juvenile Justice Reform Act Implementation Commission
Her current Legislative Caucus memberships are:
Black Caucus (LLBC)
Women’s Caucus (Secretary)
During, the 2011-2015 term, she served as a member of Agriculture, Forestry, Aquaculture, and Rural Development; Commerce; Health and Welfare; and, House Executive Committee, House Appropriations, Joint Legislative Committee on the Budget and House and Governmental Affairs. Rep. Jackson served as Chair of the Louisiana Legislative Black Caucus for 4 years.
She received a Bachelor’s degree in Pre-Law and Legal Studies from the University of Louisiana at Monroe, and a Juris Doctor Degree in 2004, from Southern University Law Center.
Prior to being elected, Ms. Jackson was a former legislative staffer as an Attorney for Labor & Industrial Relations Committee of the Louisiana House of Representatives and as Executive Director of Louisiana Legislative Black Caucus. She is a graduate of Leadership 2000. After serving as a legal assistant for over 6 years, Attorney Jackson honed her skills and talents as a practicing attorney with the Law Offices of Willie Hunter, Jr. In 2012, Ms. Jackson opened her private law firm, Katrina R. Jackson LLC, 1051 Kansas Lane, Monroe, Louisiana. In February, 2016, Ms. Jackson joined the law firm of The Downs Law Firm, with locations in Bastrop & Monroe, Louisiana.
Rep. Jackson has received numerous accolades during her public service including:
- Annual Leadership Award, by Supported Living Network, 2012
- African American Trailblazers Award by African American Women Trailblazers
(February 23, 2012)
- Legislator of the Year, Louisiana Municipal Association Black Caucus – 2012-2013 (first legislator to receive this award)
- Louisiana Conference of Black Mayors Award & Network Coalition, 2013
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Southern University Law Center, April, 2014
- Defender of Life for 2014 Legislative Session Award, Louisiana Right to Life, 2014
- Life & Liberty Award, by Louisiana Family Forum, 2014
- Award of Appreciation by Louisiana Hospital Association, July 20, 2015
- 2015 Legislator of the Year by Louisiana State Troopers Association, 2015
- Legislator of the Year by Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians, 2015 (1st ever awarded)
- Champion of Louisiana Juvenile Justice, by State Office of Juvenile Justice, November 12, 2015
- Humanitarian Award, by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Foundation of Ouachita, January 20, 2016
- 2016 Legislator of the Year by Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians (2nd Year in a Row)
- Chamber of Southwest Louisiana 2016 Legis-gator Business Champion Award
Ms. Jackson attributes her accomplishments to not just having a dream, but having a dream that lines up with God’s plan for her life. She believes her footsteps are ordered by God and everyday she works to allow God to guide her in the process of realizing her dream. Her family worships at Riverside Missionary Baptist Church in Monroe, LA.