Are you a resident of Shreveport, LA and have grown tired of running over debris that has fallen from other vehicles into the roadway? If so, you will be happy to know that a local organization called Shreveport Green, has recently been awarded with the Healthy Communities Grant and they plan to use their funds to inform the community on what can be done to help make roadways cleaner and safer [Source: KSLA 12 News]. Apparently, fallen debris is a serious issue that contributes to making the environment an unsanitary one to live in and even caused major car and truck accidents to occur.
According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, between 2011-2014, “road debris was a factor in a total of more than 200,000 police-reported crashes which resulted in a total of approximately 39,000 injuries and 500 deaths.” The source also highlighted that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration stated that in 2012 alone, objects falling from vehicles caused nearly 51,000 crashes.
What does the Shreveport Green organization plan to use their grant money for?
According to the news source, the local organization plans to put $8,000 toward the new “Cover Your Load for Safer Roads” project. The project is expected to help educate residents about the dangers associated with drivers operating their vehicles with uncovered and/or unsecured loads and the impact these items can have on our roadways in the event something falls off. The organization plans to provide the community with materials, instructions, and information “on how to travel safely while preventing accidents and littering.” The organization will also be hosting different activities for those who operate pickup trucks, trailer hitches, and commercial hauling trucks up until April 19, 2019. To find out when and where these activities will be held, feel free to contact Shreveport Green at (318) 219-1888.
Although Shreveport Green’s mission is to make Shreveport roadways cleaner and safer by bringing awareness to how important it is for truck drivers and others who haul objects to secure their load, we also have a few tips for you to keep in mind as well.
Tips for Securing Your Load
- Tie it down. If you are transporting heavy or large items, be sure you “firmly secure it with solid straps, rope, bungee cords, or netting.” These large items should be tied down directly to your vehicle and the materials used to tie them down should be able to withstand at least 70 mph on the highway. You also want to avoid using any type of restraints that are worn, frayed, cut, or damaged.
- Cover it up. If you are carrying loose, lighter items, it would be a good idea to cover them up so that they don’t blow off and into the road.
- Remember that lighter weight objects should go at the bottom of the load. If you are transporting multiple things, be sure to place the lighter objects at the bottom of your load. Your load should also be evenly distributed so that it is less likely to slide.
- Never overload. The materials you place in your truck bed shouldn’t go higher than it, unless it is properly secured.
- Always double check your load. It can never hurt to recheck your load, especially if you already began your trip. The truth is, your load could shift or slide and you want to be sure that nothing came loose while driving.
[Source: Arizona Department of Transportation].
Now, if you have been involved in a car or truck accident in Shreveport, LA that was caused by roadway debris, truck accident attorney Ross Downs in Shreveport, LA wants to help you recover the maximum compensation you will need to repair your vehicle as well as cover the injuries you may have sustained. Sometimes, wrecks caused by roadway debris can make it difficult to determine which parties should be held liable for your accident which is why you will want an experienced LA truck wreck lawyer working on your side with your best interest in mind. Contact us for more information.
The Law Offices of Ross Downs can be reached at:
517 North Washington Street
Bastrop, LA 71220
4214 Hwy 165 N.
Monroe, LA 71203