The National Safety Council (NSC) has the answers and we are sharing them with you now.
In each stage of our life, we become more susceptible to engaging in different types of accidents. For instance, a small child that isn’t yet aware of how dangerous cars and other types of vehicles are might be more likely to be involved in an accident involving an automobile than an older individual who has more experience with them. As far as aging individuals go, many senior citizens no longer have the physical abilities they once had and are less stable. This puts them more at risk of falling.
While it is clear that anyone can engage in any type of accident at any given time of day, we think it is important for you to become aware of the top causes of preventable deaths at every stage of life.
- Age 1 and Under. The most common type of incident that leads to the death of children who age one and under is suffocation.
- Ages 1-4. Children who fall into this age bracket are more likely to die in a motor vehicle accident than in any other type of preventable accident. While some children are killed as a result of being improperly restrained in their car seat or not restrained at all, a large portion of these types of accidents are caused by driver error.
- Age 5-14. Kids who are between the ages of 5 and 14 are likely to die in an automobile accident over any other type of incident as well.
- Age 15-24. Just like children between the ages of one and 14, those who are 15-25 are also more likely to lose their lives in a vehicular accident that could have been prevented.
- Age 25-34. Sadly, those who are between the ages of 25-34 fall victim to a drug overdose, something that could be prevented had they had the help, support, and knowledge they needed to understand how dangerous drugs and prescription medications can be.
- Age 35-44. The NSC highlighted that drug overdose incidents are responsible for preventable deaths among those who are between the ages of 35 to 44 as well.
- Age 45-54. Shockingly enough, the top cause of preventable deaths for this age group is also drug overdose. Many individuals find themselves stressed, struggling with life, or suffering from chronic pain. And far too often, many find themselves getting hooked on illegal and prescription drugs to help them cope with their feelings and/or pain not realizing the potential for overdosing on the drugs.
- Age 55-64. Drug overdose.
- Age 65-74. Individuals who are between the ages of 65 and 74 become more susceptible to falling which often results in death. According to the Fall Prevention Center of Excellence, “falls are the number one cause of injury, hospital visits due to trauma, and death from an injury among people age 65 and older.”
- Age 75-85+. Falls continue to be the number one cause of preventable deaths among individuals who are ages 75 and older.
The truth is, all accidents can be prevented, however, it is up to everyone to become aware of the factors that increase their chances of engaging in an accident so that they can avoid becoming the victim to one. For example, a parent can take the time to learn about how to properly buckle a small child in a car seat or booster seat rather than put them at risk of sustaining a fatal injury because their buckles weren’t fastened properly. Or, a family member of an elderly loved one can take the time to help their relative so they are less susceptible to falling. If everyone does their part and practices safety at all times, there is a chance we could see a decrease in the number of preventable accidents that seem to be transpiring.
In the event you are the victim of a preventable accident that occurred in Alexandria and would like to discuss what your legal rights are in the matter, contact Alexandria, LA accident attorney Ross Downs. At our office, we understand how hard life may be if you suffered a severe injury or lost a loved in a preventable accident which is why we want to be there to support and guide you through this difficult time.
To get in contact with an accident lawyer in Louisiana now, give us a call at 318-284-8551.
You can reach The Downs Law Firm at:
517 North Washington Street
Bastrop, LA 71220
4214 Hwy 165 N.
Monroe, LA 71203
You can read more accident articles here