Whether you can usually be found traveling behind the wheel of a car or cruising behind handlebars, more clarity on the risks and common causes of motorcycle accidents can save lives. According to 2016 data presented by the Insurance Information Institute, motorcyclists were 28 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash per vehicle mile traveled. Alert, responsible drivers can make all the difference in the world. HG.org Legal Resources helps lay out some important and sobering facts about motorcycle accidents that can help drivers adjust their roadway habits for the better:
- The majority of motorcycle accidents happen when colliding with a passenger vehicle
- About two thirds of motorcycle accidents are caused by motorcyclist error
- When there are two or more vehicles involved, about two thirds of motorcycle accidents happen due to the other vehicle violating the motorcyclist’s right of way.
- Most accidents happen because the car driver did not see the motorcycle
- Visibility helps! Accidents involving cars is significantly reduced by the use of motorcycle headlamps (turned on even in daylight) and motorcyclists wearing high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets.
- Intersections are the most common roadway location for motorcycle accidents
- Many people think of slippery roads as contributing to motorcycle accidents, but in 98% of motorcycle accidents, weather does not contribute to the accident.
- Most motorcycle accidents occur during a short trip associated with shopping, errands, friends, entertainment, or recreation, and usually happens near the beginning of the trip.
- While some people might think of motorcyclists as thrill-seekers, the fact is that in the majority of accidents, the motorcyclist’s average speed is around 30 mph.
- The majority of motorcycle accidents involve alcohol
- Insurance coverage isn’t guaranteed. While you might carry insurance to protect you in the event of a motorcycle accident, it’s not uncommon for insurance adjusters to overlook the riders’ best interests when determining the value of a claim or recovery. Insurance adjusters are prone to use impersonal formulas or computer programs to estimate a claim value instead. In many cases, adjusters offer settlements that don’t fully cover an injured rider’s medical expenses and rehabilitation fees, much less the psychological trauma or other losses that likely come with an accident.
Whether you need representation as a motorcyclist or a motorist, The Ross Downs Law Firm is here to help you achieve your case’s best possible outcome. As a victim of any kind of negligent driving, you deserve to get the full legal representation and financial compensation that you’re entitled to. And if you think that your insurance company isn’t providing you with the recovery compensation you believe you deserve, we can fight insurance adjusters and insurance companies either inside or outside of court.
We serve all of Louisiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi, so don’t hesitate to call us at 318-325-7677 (ROSS) (ROSS) or contact us online. When We’re On Your Side, We’ll Be By Your Side. Get Serious. Get Ross.