Every car accident is a stressful experience. In addition to the initial shock and pain, victims often face exorbitant medical bills, and lost income can add up quickly. If the driver who caused your accident did not have insurance, you may be wondering how you can recover the necessary compensation to pay for your losses.

Fortunately, there are several potential ways to recover compensation after an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist. These include:

  • File a claim against your own uninsured motorist (UM) policy;
  • Use your Personal Injury Protection (PIP); and
  • File a claim against the at-fault driver.

Even if you have uninsured motorist coverage, though, the insurance company may still look for a reason to deny or undervalue your claim. This is where an injury attorney can help.

If you were hurt in a collision with an uninsured motorist in Arkansas, turn to The Ross Downs Law Firm. Ross Downs is a car wreck lawyer in Monticello with more than 20 years of experience practicing law. He will evaluate your case, gather evidence, calculate your damages, and help you fight for the maximum payout. Schedule a free consultation today by calling 1-888-771-9800.

Let’s take a closer look at three possible ways to recover compensation after a crash with an uninsured driver:

  1. File a Claim against Your Own Uninsured Motorist Policy

In the state of Arkansas, all auto insurance companies are required to offer uninsured motorist coverage to their policyholders. Although you can refuse this coverage by filing the necessary paperwork, it is highly recommended that you carry uninsured motorist coverage. In 2012, approximately 15.9 percent of drivers in Arkansas were uninsured, according to the Insurance Information Institute.

Carrying UM insurance can be the difference between restoring financial stability and falling into overwhelming debt. If the driver who caused your injuries had insurance but it was not sufficient to cover your losses, your UM policy should cover the difference.

  1. Use Your Personal Injury Protection

Although Arkansas is an at-fault state, Personal Injury Protection benefits will cover your medical bills and other accident-related expenses no matter who caused the accident.

  1. File a Claim against the At-Fault Driver

Although you can file a claim against the at-fault driver, this is often a waste of time and money because motorists who do not carry insurance typically do not have the finances to pay for the damages they cause in accidents. An experienced car wreck lawyer can evaluate your case to determine whether you should pursue a claim against the at-fault driver.

If you were injured or lost a loved one due to a drunk, distracted, or negligent motorist in Arkansas, contact The Ross Downs Law Firm. Ross Downs will help you fight for the maximum settlement, and if your case goes to trial, he has the litigation experience to represent your interests in court. Call 1-888-771-9800 today to schedule a free consultation with an injury attorney in Monticello.


By | 2017-08-31T19:37:10+00:00 April 6th, 2017|Louisiana Accident Attorney News|0 Comments

About the Author:


Pin It on Pinterest